You are a special and wonderful human being. It is not about what you weigh, it’s about being healthy. Carrying too much weight has harmful effects on your health. So, let’s get the weight off in a way that allows you to continue bringing your special gifts to this world without worrying about your own health and weight.
As is the case with adults, obesity in children is rising. And like adults, kids who are obese are at a much greater risk for health problems now and later in life. Studies have found obese children are much more likely to be obese as adults. If a child is overweight before age 8, his or her chance of more severe obesity during adulthood goes up.
Causes of Extra Weight
There are many reasons for extra weight. We will explore the reasons with you so we can find the individualized solution for you. Extra weigh is be affected by:
• Family history and genes
• Food choice and quantity
• Medications. Some antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, diabetes medications, steroids and beta blockers may cause weight gain.
• Social networks and economics.
• Lifestyle habits, eating behaviors and stress.
• Too little sleep. This can affect hormones that increase appetite.
• Medical problems, such as hypothyroidism, Prader-Willi and polycystic ovary syndrome.
Weight loss therapy should be based on four components:
2. Physical activity
4. Behavior therapy (such as recognizing triggers for eating or learning to pinpoint obstacles that hold you back from making lifestyle changes)
This combination has been found to be more successful than using any one intervention alone.